1872 Saghalin (Sakhalin)

$195.00

1 in stock

Original chromo-lithographic map showing the Island of Saghalin (Sakhalin)

SKU: MW0596 Categories: , , ,
Share:

The map accompanied a Paper translated by Captain Spalding of the 104th Regiment from the Russian and written by Colonel Veniukof. The paper included a brief history, the geography and hydrography, topography, natural productiveness, population and a military survey with all observations.

Europeans first visited Saghalin simultaneously by land and sea. In 1643, the Dutch Navigator Gerriss de Vries visited the southern part of the Sea of Okhotsk landing at Saghalin, Aniva and Tierpienia Bays. In the following year Russian subjects, Cossacks and fur hunters made their appearance at the mouth of the Amur. The first reliable geographical information about the island was obtained by La Perouse, who in 1787 sailed up the coast of Korea to the mouth of the Amur and then sailed south passing through the straits between Saghalin and Yezo (Hokkaido), thus proving that Shaghalin was in fact an island. The straits bear his name.

The Japanese had always maintained a brisk commerce with the fishing and hunting tribes, the Gilacks, Ainos and Orokaps and had permanent settlements at Aniva Bay. After European discovery, Russian expeditions frequented the island from 1644 to 1807 and by 1853 they had established a military post at Dui to protect the fur and seal traders. Coal was discovered shortly afterwards, and the island became extremely attractive to the Russians with an arrangement being made with Japan to regulate joint possession of the island. As Russian coalmining interests expanded; using both convicts and cheap Chinese labour; a treaty was drawn up with Japan in 1875. The Japanese resigned all claims to the island in exchange for sovereignty over the whole of the Kurile Islands. Saghalin was incorporated into the coastal province of which Vladivostok was the principal town, this province was in turn,under the control of the Governor General of the Amur Territory.

The map accompanied the paper which was read and published in the Journal of the Royal Geographical Society by J. Murray, Albemarle Street, London, 1872

The Royal Geographical Society in London published its first journal in 1832.  This journal was to become the leading scientific medium available for explorers to publish the first news of their discoveries.  Though John Arrowsmith compiled most of the maps for the Journal, Murray, Weller amongst others also contributed to this, the most famous of Geographical journals and the most famous of Societies.

Dimensions 33 × 12 cm
Title

The Island of Saghalin from Russian Authorities to accompany the Paper by Colonel Veniukof

Dimensions with Mount

49 x 28cm

Publisher

Royal Geographical Society

Published

London 1872

Condition

Excellent condition. Folds as per usual.

Interested in Exclusive Discounts?

Sign Up To Our Mailing List