Original print of Princess Royal Harbour, King George Sound, Albany in Western Australia. Major Lockyer sketched this image in late 1826. He had been sent by the New South Wales Colonial Government to settle this remote part of the Australian continent to thwart any French designs to colonise. He arrived with a group of soldiers in the Brig Amity in December 1826. Initially it was named Frederick Town and was administered by New South Wales. In 1831 Governor James Stirling renamed it Albany and the new Swan River Colony, with its capital in Perth, assumed administrative responsibility. The image was not published until 1888.