1910 ADMIRALTY CHART Albany King George Sound

$1,495.00

1 in stock

Copper engraved Admiralty Chart of King George Sound and Princess Royal Harbour surveyed by Staff Commander W.E. Archdeacon R.N in 1877 and the latest surveys of Princess Royal Harbour by Commmander L.S. Dawson in 1889. New editions to August 1910 and minor corrections to 1918. A wonderful profile the extent of the map showing Eclipse Island, Peak Head, Breaksea and Michaelmas Islands, the Porongorups in the distance Rock Dunder, Mt Gardner, Mt Manypeak and Bald Island. Two smaller profiles showing the entrance to King George Sound and the other showing from Cape Vancouver just open North of Rock Dunder between Herald Rocks and Michaelmas Island.

SKU: MA0158 Categories: , , ,
Share:

The Hydrographic Office of the Admiralty was founded in 1795. Alexander Dalrymple who had been hydrographer to the East India Company was appointed its first director. Between 1797 and 1803, Captain Bligh of Bounty fame, was employed as hydrographer, and took over direction when Dalrymple became ill. Capt. Thomas Hurd R.N. was in charge from 1808 to 1823, and during the latter part of his term made the official charts available to the Merchant Marine. He appointed George Thomas, a young man in his twenties, as Head Marine Surveyor. William Parry was Hydrographer from 1823-1829 and was succeeded by Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort 1829-55.

On the succession of Rear Admiral John Washington’s as the Admiralty’s hydrographer between 1855 and 1863, a series of agreements were drawn up with the Australian colonies to help solve the frequency of shipwrecks, severely hampering communication  These agreements provided boats and crews for use by officers, lent from the Royal Navy, to chart the coasts and shoal waters of the approaches to the rapidly developing towns.

It had been the discovery of gold, and the consequent rush of miners and emigrants, from England and California that had added greatly to the numbers of ships sailing to Australia’s east coast. This led to numerous petitions being made to Her Majesty’s Government to chart all approaches to Australia, to make for safer passage for shipping.

Dimensions 85 × 67 cm
Map Maker

Title

King George Sound and Princess Royal Harbour surveyed by Staff Commander W. E. Archdeacon R.N 1877. Princess Royal Harbour by Commander L.S. Dawson R.N. 1889 with additions from West Australian Government Surveys to 1908

Published

The Admiralty, London

Date Published

Originally published in 1879 with additions to 1910

Condition

Central fold as expected with another fold to the right of centre. Paper toned all over. Hand inked markings to show lighthouses.

Interested in Exclusive Discounts?

Sign Up To Our Mailing List