The Hydrographic Office of the Admiralty was founded in 1795, Alexander Dalrymple who had been hydrographer to the East India Company was appointed its first director. Between 1797 and 1803 Captain Bligh of Bounty fame was employed as hydrographer, and took over direction during Dalrymple’s illness. Capt. Thomas Hurd R.N. was in charge from 1808 to 1823, and during the latter part of his term made the official charts available to the Merchant Marine. He appointed George Thomas, a young man in his twenties, as Head Marine Surveyor. William Parry was Hydrographer from 1823-1829 and was succeeded by Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort 1829-55. Rear Admiral John Washington’s was the Admiralty’s hydrographer, 1855-1863 with many others taking the charts into modernity.