This comparative political and physical atlas shows German possessions dated to 1914 and the presence of the Russian Empire. The firm was founded by George Bartholomew who at the age of 13 was apprenticed to the map publishers W & D Lizars. His son John opened his own engraving premises in 1826 at 59 York Place, Edinburgh, and for A&C Black and WH Lizars. In turn his son John (Jun) learned his trade under Augustus Petermann in the famous firm of Justus Perthes in Gotha. There he acquired the arts of map compilation and lithographic printing. In 1860 he went into partnership with his father, the firm taking the new title of John Bartholomew & Son.