1908 Osborne Park (Hiawatha Estate)

$695.00

1 in stock

Rare original colour lithographed sales map of the Hiawatha Estate, Osborne Park. Crossland and Hardy were the surveyors and the agent was F E Harrison of 14 Eagle Chambers 408 Hay Street Perth, with inset location map showing the location north of Lake Monger.

SKU: MW150 Categories: , ,
Share:

It notes on the map that the Perth Electric Trams pass within a few yards of the Estate and the Terms are One Pound deposit and 10 Shillings monthly, generously, without interest.

Dimensions 60 × 41 cm
Map Maker

Published

Perth 1908

Technique

Lithograph

Condition

Excellent

Information

Osborne Park was named after William Osborne, a butcher who owned an abattoir and land on Wanneroo Road and who was elected to the Perth Road Board (the City of Stirling's predecessor), in 1875.
Osborne Park was part of an original crown grant of 6,020 acres given to T. R. C. Walters in 1840. After the death of Walters in 1874, William Osborne bought part of his estate, which included the area now known as Osborne Park.
The suburb was originally market gardens, due to rich peaty soil from the swamps between Lake Monger and Herdsman Lake. The area was popular among Chinese, Italian and Yugoslav settlers. The suburb was founded by a private trading concern and had a tram service in the early 1900s through an extension of the Perth tram system from the end of the Leederville line.
Osborne Park became a residential suburb after World War II, but by the 1980s, it was predominantly an industrial area, with only the north-eastern area still residential.

Interested in Exclusive Discounts?

Sign Up To Our Mailing List